Family displaced after house fire.

September 12, 2020

Family displaced after house fire.

LUDINGTON — A single father and his five children have been displaced after a house fire at 207 N. Rath Ave. Saturday afternoon. Ludington Fire Department and Ludington Police Department were dispatched to the residence at 3:38 p.m. Upon arriving on scene, Fire Chief Jerry Funk reported heavy black smoke coming from the house.

“The windows were all black inside the house, which is never a good sign,” Funk said. “The fire was well involved when we got there but the firefighters did a great job knocking it down,” Funk said.

The fire was likely started from a toaster, which caught couch cushions on fire, Funk said. The occupants, who were renting the house, were able to get out safely. Funk said it was unclear if they had renters’ insurance.

Though the structure was saved the house suffered from heavy fire, smoke, and water damage.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the family.

The fire department cleared the scene at 5:35 p.m.

Please consider helping to fund local news. Mason County Press and Oceana County Press are available for free thanks to the generous support of our advertisers and individuals who support our service. Click on the PayPal donation button located on the top right of our website. 

This story is copyrighted © 2020, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.

Area Churches

Eats & Drinks

Eats & Drinks