8-year-old’s call for help at neighbors’ may have saved house.

October 13, 2020

8-year-old’s call for help at neighbors’ may have saved house.

FREE SOIL TOWNSHIP –The quick actions of an 8-year-old boy likely saved a family’s home from being destroyed by fire Tuesday night. Free Soil/Meade Fire Department Chief Vince Williams said a Halloween decoration caught on fire on the second floor of the Phillip Fortin residence, 11755 N. Rybicki Rd. Because he couldn’t find a fire extinguisher, the 8-year-old ran across the road to a neighbor’s house, who then called 911.

The five occupants of the house, two children and three adults, and their three dogs were able to escape the fire safely.

Though the house suffered from fire, smoke and water damage, the structure was saved. “This was a good save,” Williams said, “especially considering that its on the far northern end of the township and the county. The departments all had a good response time. The boy did really good in what he did to help save his family’s home.”

Free Soil/Meade Fire Department was initially dispatched at 6:51 p.m. Assistance was given by Grant Township Fire Department, Fountain Area Fire Department and Custer Fire Department. Also on scene was Michigan State Police and Fountain Fire Department Auxiliary, as well as Great Lakes Energy.

Please consider helping to fund local news. Mason County Press and Oceana County Press are available for free thanks to the generous support of our advertisers and individuals who support our service. Click on the PayPal donation button located on the top right of our website. 

This story is copyrighted © 2020, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.



Area Churches

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 22,356 other subscribers