Bird nest near chimney starts house fire.

November 29, 2017

Bird nest near chimney starts house fire.

#MasonCountyNews.

By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

PERE MARQUETTE TOWNSHIP — A bird’s nest located near a chimney caught fire and caused fire damage to the David Outcalt, Jr. residence, 2271 S. Inman Road Wednesday afternoon. Pere Marquette Township Fire Department, along with Riverton Township Fire Department and Ludington Fire Department, were called to the scene about 5 p.m.

Pere Marquette Township Fire Chief Larry Gaylord said the fire started in the home’s attic after the home occupants started a fire in a fireplace. “It was a metal chimney going up through the attic,” Gaylord said, “and it looked like a bird nest was right around the chimney and it caught fire. We were able to get the fire out before it spread to the roof. The structure is still sound but it has some smoke and water damage.”

Upon arriving on scene, firefighters reported heavy smoke coming out of the house’s eaves.

Gaylord said the home occupants and their animals were able to get out of the home safely.

Firefighters were on scene for over two hours. Also on scene were Mason County Sheriff’s Office and Life EMS ambulance.

  • Dan Vargas contributed to this story.

This story and photograph are copyrighted © 2017, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,303 other subscribers