Hit-and-run driver turns herself in.
RIVERTON TOWNSHIP — The female driver involved in a hit-and-run crash Tuesday, Feb. 14, at 10:27 p.m. on Washington Road, east of Morton Road, has contacted the Hart post of the Michigan State Police, according to Sgt. Charles Hockanson.
“She called this morning, and a trooper will be talking to her,” Hockanson said.
Police were searching for the driver of the Chevrolet Trailblazer involved in the single-vehicle crash. The driver fled, leaving the vehicle at the scene.
The crash occurred after the eastbound SUV crossed the centerline and left the north side of the road, hitting at least one tree and then coming to a stop, facing west, on the property of Jesse Petersen Farms. The vehicle missed the farm’s sign by a few inches. The driver, who was the only occupant of the vehicle, left the scene by foot, according to dispatch information. Prior to her leaving the scene, a passerby came upon the crash and called 911, stating that she appeared to be injured. She was nowhere to be found when medical personnel from Riverton Township Fire Department arrived on scene. Firefighters used thermal imaging equipment to search for her in open fields but were unsuccessful.
In addition to Michigan State Police and RFD, Mason County Sheriff’s Office, and Life EMS responded.
No other information, such as the woman’s age or hometown, were immediately available.
Other recent police activity includes:
Monday, Feb. 13, 2017:
– 7:30 a.m., (Mason County Sheriff’s Office), car/deer crash, no injuries, Conrad Road west of Stiles Road, Amber Township.
– 7:53 a.m., (MCSO), two-vehicle crash, minor injuries, US 10 east of Gordon Road, Amber Township.
– 10:02 p.m., (MCSO), a 22-year-old Free Soil man was arrested on an outstanding misdemeanor drug warrant out of Newaygo County, 1300 block of West Freeman Road, Grant Township.
Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017:
– 12:02 a.m., (MCSO), a 38-year-old Ludington man was arrested on a criminal bench warrant for probation violation, 900 block of South Dennis Road, Amber Township.
– 11:47 a.m,. (MCSO), a 34-year-old Scottville woman was cited for driving while license suspended following a traffic stop, Pere Marquette Highway and Conrad Road, Pere Marquette Township.
– 12:25 p.m., (MCSO), one-vehicle crash, minor injuries, Jebavy Drive south of US 10, Pere Marquette Township.
– 10:55 p.m., (MCSO), car/deer crash, no injuries, Sugar Grove Road west of Reek Road, Sherman Township.
The police news is sponsored by ServPro with offices in Ludington, Manistee and Cadillac, 231-843-9075, www.servpromanisteeludingtonandcadillac.com.
This story is copyrighted © 2017 by Media Group 31, LLC and may not be reproduced without its expressed written consent. Please see Use Terms on this page for more details.