Family loses everything in house fire, needs assistance.

February 18, 2020

Family loses everything in house fire, needs assistance.

By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.


BRANCH TOWNSHIP — A family lost their home and most of their possessions during a fire Monday evening. Firefighters were initially called to the Dale and Morgan Lifer residence, 6213 E. Hansen Road, shortly after 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 17. Morgan Lifer said they were not home but a neighbor who was driving by noticed a ball of flames coming out of the chimney.

Morgan said the fire started near the wood stove and caused severe damage to the house, destroying the roof and most of the house’s contents. She said the house, which is not insured, is still standing but the fire caused over $30,000 in damage.

The Lifers are in need of clothing and other items for themselves and their daughters, ages 14, 9, and 5. Clothing sizes for the girls are 10, 6X, and medium/small. For the parents, size 34×30 pants and large shirts for male and medium/large clothes for female. The children, who attend Mason County Central and Mason County Eastern schools are also in need of school supplies. This morning they met with MCC’s homeless coordinator Denise Jones who was providing them with several items. The family has also been assisted by the Mason County Fire Relief Fund.

Morgan Lifer can be reached by cell at 231-233-0108 and Dale can be reached at 231-233-9295.

Dale owns an exterior repair business and has experience with construction. However, the family is in need of building materials. The family is currently staying with relatives in Scottville.

Emergency units responding to the fire included Branch Fire Department, Fountain Area Fire Department, Custer Fire Department, and Mason County Sheriff’s Office.

This story is copyrighted © 2020, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.