Emergency management offers pointers to cope with storm’s aftermath.

August 29, 2018

Road Commission cleaning up debris on First Street in Walhalla.

Emergency management offers pointers to cope with storm’s aftermath.

The Mason County Emergency Management office offers the following pointers in the aftermath of recent storms.

  • If you have a true emergency, please contact 911. Please do not call 911 to report power outages unless the wire is arching or sparking, or is creating a life safety hazard. You can report power outages directly to your service provider.
  • If you or a family member requires power for medical devices, reach out to family and friends to see if they have power or a generator to assist you. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 for assistance.
  • If you or a family member use medications that need to be refrigerated, contact your pharmacy with concerns about product safety during an extended power outage.
  • Treat all wires as energized wires and stay back at least 25 feet and avoid touching anything the wire is touching.
  • If you are using a generator, make sure it is vented properly. Never use a generator inside your house or garage. Keep the generator 20 feet from your home. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, nausea, and confusion. If you think you are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, get fresh air and seek immediate medical attention.
  • Avoid opening your refrigerator or freezer. If left closed, a fridge will keep food safe for four hours. A full freezer may hold its temperature for up to 48 hours; 24 hours if half full.
  • Drive cautiously around areas that have been impacted. Trees or wires may have been compromised by the storm and could continue to come down with in the days following.

Area Churches