Man who made false bomb threat pleads guilty

April 7, 2015
Dayvin Michael Flickinger with his attorney, Callista Gloss.

Dayvin Michael Flickinger with his attorney, Callista Gloss.

By Allison Scarbrough. Contributing Editor.

LUDINGTON — The 22-year-old Ludington man who was arrested last December after making a false bomb threat to Tendercare of Ludington pleaded guilty Tuesday, April 7, during a final conference hearing in 51st Circuit Court to a four-year felony of false report or threat of a bomb or harmful device.

In exchange for his guilty plea, Dayvin Michael Flickinger will not face any prison time — his jail time will be capped at one year. His plea agreement includes a recommendation from the prosecution that he will not be allowed to enter the Tendercare premises.

Ludington Police Department was dispatched to Tendercare, at 1000 E. Tinkham Ave., for a threats complaint related to a domestic dispute, Dec. 16. Flickinger made threats to come to the facility and shoot the residents, according to Ludington Police Chief Mark Barnett. “Based on that threat, Tendercare instituted a lockdown procedure,” Barnett previously said.

“The suspect told one of the officers, via telephone, that he had placed a bomb at the location and was going to detonate it,” Barnett said. “A search was made for a device and no device was located.”

Barnett said officers were able to locate Flickinger, took him into custody, and obtained an arrest warrant. Flickinger remains lodged in the Mason County Jail on a $150,000 cash/surety bond.

“I called the Tendercare and threatened that there was a bomb on the premises,” Flickinger testified Tuesday. When asked by Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola what type of facility Tendercare is, Flickinger replied, “It’s an old folks home.”

Spaniola said Flickinger threatened that a bomb was attached to the bottom of a baby stroller. “The matter arose out of a child custody matter,” the prosecutor said. Flickinger called the facility, which was the child’s mother’s place of employment, approximately 50 times, he said.

“He threatened that he was going to blow up the place if he didn’t get his baby,” Spaniola said. “A standoff with police ensued which lasted approximately one hour. The defendant started to barricade the door. Mr. Flickinger suffers from explosive personality disorder.”

Flickinger’s attorney, Callista Gloss, requested that the no-contact provision currently in place for the child, who was 4 months old at the time, and the child’s mother be lifted. “The victim does not feel threatened,” said Gloss, who submitted a letter written by the woman, asking that the provision be lifted.

“The people oppose the request,” said Spaniola. Flickinger is not currently being treated for his mental disorder, he said. A treatment plan order was granted by Probate Judge Jeffrey Nellis 10 days ago, but Flickinger is not getting treated. “He possesses a grave risk to the residents at Tendercare as well as (the victim) and their child.”

Judge Susan Sniegowski said Fickinger’s treatment was subject to his release from jail. Sniegowski said she will make a decision at sentencing regarding the no contact provision, because she needs more information about Flickinger’s mental health situation.

Sentencing is set for Tuesday, May 12, at 3:15 p.m.


Area Churches