Fire destroys Scottville house.

January 14, 2015


See VIDEO here.

By Rob Alway. Editor-in-Chief.

SCOTTVILLE — Fire destroyed a home at 506 N. Reinberg Ave. Wednesday morning. Nobody was home when neighbor Jim Chase of 201 W. Johnson noticed smoke rolling across the road.

“At first I thought it was snow. But then I took a closer look and discovered that the house was on fire,” Chase said.

Nobody was home at the house, located at the corner of Reinberg Ave. and Johnson Rd. Owner Sandy Florian said that he had left the house shortly after 8 a.m. for an appointment at the courthouse. But then found out his appointment wasn’t until 9:30, so he came back home for a short time, picked up his 4-week-old dog and returned to Ludington. Sandy’s ex-wife, Christine Baker, also lives in the home along with their two teenage sons, Mitchell and Robert.

Scottville and Custer fire departments were called to the scene about 9:15 a.m. The first unit arriving reported flames coming out of the southeastern portion of the roof.

Scottville Fire Chief Dale Larr said the fire appeared to have started in the attic where the house meets the attached garage (which has been converted into a room). Larr said something electrical appears to have started the fire. The fire destroyed the entire roof of the house and Larr declared the home a loss.

Florian has owned the house since 2006. He said the house is insured. Larr said he will be calling in a Michigan State Police fire marshal to investigate.

Branch Fire Department was also called to assist with the Mason County Rural Fire Authority’s air trailer. Scottville Police Department also responded. Units were still on the scene at 11 a.m.