DNR reminders hunters about guidelines for importing game meat taken in other states

November 25, 2013

As successful deer, elk and moose hunters return from trips in Michigan and beyond, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) reminds hunters that there are regulations regarding the importation of carcasses from certain other states and provinces.

For free-ranging deer, elk or moose taken in Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North and South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Alberta and Saskatchewan, restrictions exist on parts of these animals that may be brought into Michigan.

The above states and provinces have detected chronic wasting disease (CWD) in free-ranging animals. Only the following parts of a deer, elk or moose carcass may be brought into Michigan: deboned meat, antlers, antlers attached to a skull cap cleaned of all brain and muscle tissue, hides, upper canine teeth or a finished taxidermy mount.

If you are notified by another state or province that a deer, elk or moose you brought into Michigan tested positive for CWD, you must contact the DNR Wildlife Disease Lab within two business days (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) at 517-336-5030 and provide details.

“The DNR appreciates the full cooperation of Michigan residents returning from out-of-state hunting trips in complying with these rules,” said Steve Schmitt, DNR wildlife veterinarian. “We want these hunters to be able to enjoy their success while helping us to protect the health of the deer, elk and moose of our state.”

This list of states and provinces with CWD in free-ranging deer, elk and moose herds changes frequently. Any changes to importation regulations will be posted at www.michigan.gov/cwd. In addition, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) may have regulations on importation from Canada. Hunters may contact the USDA at 301-734-3277.

Eats & Drinks

Eats & Drinks