Fire damages Custer Twp. home

September 25, 2013
Firefighters were on seen of the fire at the corner of Hansen and Tuttle roads.

Firefighters were on seen of the fire at the corner of Hansen and Tuttle roads.

By Rob Alway. Editor-in-Chief.

CUSTER TWP. — A single-wide mobile home was heavily damaged by fire and smoke around noon Wednesday. Shelia Lawson was the only one home at 1185 N. Tuttle Road. Her husband, Cliff, said that Shelia plugged in a dehumidifier in their bedroom, like she does every morning, and then went into the living room.

“A few minutes later there were flames coming from the bedroom,” Cliff said, standing in the couple’s front lawn. Custer and Scottville fire departments were called to the scene.

Custer Fire Chief John Allison said flames were coming from the house when fire units arrived on scene, just a little after noon. “They were able to get it under control pretty quickly,” Allison said. “We wanted to be aggressive because fires in trailers can move quickly and will typically end with considerable damage.”

Allison said the rear bedroom and bathroom were destroyed by fire and the rest of the trailer suffered considerable smoke damage. However, the family was able to salvage some of their belongings.

Cliff said he was at work in Pentwater when he was informed about the fire. His son, Clifford, was also not home. “I was just having lunch. I got here as quick as I could. I was expecting it to be completely gone. I was impressed that the fire departments got the fire out so quickly.” He said an electrical box caused the fire.

Cliff Lawson said they have lived in the home for nine years and were in the process of buying it. Allison said they did not have insurance. The West Shore Chapter of American Red Cross has been called to assist the family.

Area Churches