Man sent to jail for 3rd-offense failure to register as sex offender.

August 7, 2018

Douglas Wilson with his attorney David Glancy. 

Man sent to jail for 3rd-offense failure to register as sex offender.

#MasonCountyCrime

By Allison Scarbrough, Editor.

LUDINGTON — A 56-year-old homeless man was sentenced to one year in jail for a conviction of third-offense failure to register as a sex offender Tuesday, Aug. 7, in 51st Circuit Court.

“I was homeless at the time and then started staying on the street,” Douglas Andrew Wilson said previously. He was in violation, because he was registered as staying at the homeless shelter at 101 S. Madison Ave. in Ludington, said Mason County Prosecutor Paul Spaniola.

A fourth-offense habitual offender designation was dismissed when Wilson pleaded guilty to the charge.

“Unfortunately, this situation arises out of my client being homeless,” said defense attorney Glancy. “It is what has brought him here today, and it is what has brought him here in the past.”

Wilson was apologetic to Judge Susan K. Sniegowski. “I’m sorry for what I have done,” he said.

The case runs concurrently to Wilson’s probation violation case, Judge Sniegowski said. Sentencing guidelines in the case are two to 17 months, and the maximum penalty for the conviction is 10 years in prison.

Wilson received credit for 160 days served in jail.

This story is copyrighted © 2018, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.

 

Tags: ,

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,578 other subscribers