Firefighters stop recently renovated house from fire destruction.

July 17, 2017

Firefighters stop recently renovated house from fire destruction.

#MasonCountyNews.

By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

SCOTTVILLE — Firefighters from Scottville and Custer fire departments were able to quickly extinguish fire at recently renovated house at 407 S. Main St. Monday afternoon. Upon arrival of the first emergency units, flames were coming out of the southeast corner of the house.

The house is owned by Amy (Gable) Smith and Mike Wilbur of Lansing. Amy Smith’s son, Jordan Chavalia lives in Grand Rapids but has been in the area for work, staying in a fifth-wheel camper near the house. Chavalia, who was on scene, said that Smith and Wilbur had just finished renovating the house today and the house was just listed for sale. The owners had returned to Lansing.

“They have worked so hard the past six months renovating that house,” Chavalia said.

Scottville Fire Chief Dale Larr said that he was calling in a Michigan State Police fire marshal to determine the origin of the fire, but he believed that an electrical outlet, with a cord attached to the house from the camper, appears to have been the culprit.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames within about 15 minutes of arriving on scene. The fire closed down South Main Street between second and fifth streets.

Also responding were Scottville Police Department, Mason County Sheriff’s Office, and Life EMS.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,324 other subscribers