Fire destroys Riverton Township home.

September 6, 2016

riverton scottville fire department

 

 

#MasonCountyNews

By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

RIVERTON TOWNSHIP — Four people were displaced after fire destroyed their home at 3261 S. Scottville Road. The fire occurred about 5 p.m. Riverton Township and Scottville fire departments were called to the scene with dispatch information stating flames were coming from the windows of the second floor. Riverton Township Fire Chief Joe Cooper was first to arrive and stated heavy flames were coming from the second floor.

riverton scottville fire departmentCooper said a mattress, which possibly caught on fire from a cigarette, was the cause of the fire. The house is owned by Clare and Ruthann Edson. They, along with two adult grandsons, lived in the house. The Edsons were home at the time of the fire. Cooper said he had been told that the occupants had attempted to extinguish the fire prior to the fire department’s arrival. The family lost one cat in the fire.

Scottville Road between Chauvez and Kinney roads was closed down during the fire. Fire crews are still on scene as of 7 p.m.

Assisting on scene were Riverton Township Fire Department, Scottville Fire Department, Custer Fire Department, Mason County Sheriff’s Office, Mason County Fire Relief Fund, and American Red Cross.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

WSCC: I am

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,398 other subscribers