Fire damages Hamlin Twp. house. 

March 11, 2016

  By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.  HAMLIN TOWNSHIP — Fire severely damaged a home on the South Bayou of Hamlin Lake Thursday night. Hamlin and Pere Marquette fire departments were called to the Fred Peterson residence at 6676 W. Mears Rd. about 9:30 p.m. Hamlin Fire Chief Steve Vandervest said the north side of the home was engulfed in flames when the first Hamlin unit arrived on scene. 

 Vandervest said the fire started around the house’s chimney. “The home owner said he smelled smoke and came outside to discover the whole backside of his house on fire,” Vandervest said. 

 Water supply caused a challenge for firefighters. 

 “We nearly had the fire knocked down a few minutes after we got here,” Vandervest said. “But, we ran out of water and were having a difficult time drafting water from the hydrant at the South Bayou park.” 

 Dry hydrants have long pipes that extend out into the water and are used often in rural areas, as opposed to “wet” hydrants which are hooked up to municipal water supplies. 

 Ludington and Riverton fire departments were also called to assist. 

 

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

WSCC: I am

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,395 other subscribers