Passing by firefighter extinguishes fire.

January 21, 2016

scottville fire department state street 012116By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief. 

SCOTTVILLE — A passing by Custer firefighter took quick action and used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire at an apartment house near downtown Scottville. Scottville and Custer fire departments were dispatched to 111 E. State St. about 7:20 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016, for a report of a structure fire.

Residents from the apartment complex evacuated the building and no one was hurt. Scottville Fire Chief Dale Larr said the fire started from grease on an electric stove. The grease had apparently caught on fire and then spilled underneath the stove, Larr said, preventing the residents from smothering the fire. The lower level apartment did not have a fire extinguisher.

Firefighters used ventilation to clear smoke from the house and were clear of the scene within 45 minutes.

 

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Area Churches

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,511 other subscribers