2 injured in Rowe Street fire.

December 14, 2015

ludington_rowe_fire_3By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

LUDINGTON — Two people were injured during a house fire Monday night in Ludington. Ludington Fire Department was called to a structure fire at 302 N. Rowe Street about 7 p.m. The fire was discovered by tenant Kerri Hargett, who lives on the second floor of the two apartment house. Hargett was at home with her boyfriend, Michael Lashore.

“We were sitting in the living room watching TV when I started smelling smoke,” Hargett said, sitting in her car parked on Rowe Street, beside the house. “I went into the hallway and I could tell the smoke was coming from downstairs.” Hargett said she went downstairs and saw a flash inside the house. Lashore then called 911 while Hargett grabbed her cat and they got out of the house.

Hargett said a man and woman couple live on the main floor.

Firefighters took two people out of the house and started performing CPR on each of them. They were then taken by ambulance to Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital.

The house is located on the northeast corner of Rowe and Pere Marquette streets. Fire Chief Jerry Funk said the fire started in the kitchen of the house and that the fire department was able to extinguish the fire quickly. Ludington police detectives are on scene investigating. 

On scene were Ludington Fire Department, Ludington Police Department, Mason County Sheriff’s Office, Michigan State Police and Life EMS ambulance, along with Consumers Energy and DTE.

MCP will post further information as it becomes available.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,614 other subscribers