Fire destroys historic Amber Twp house; pets lost in fire.

September 12, 2015

 

 By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

AMBER TOWNSHIP — Fire destroyed a 130-year-old house Saturday night, killing three pets. Mike Douglas lives in the home at 3342 W. Johnson Road, with his fiancé, Ashley Ward and her sister, Alexis Gleason along with three others. Mike said he was out in the barn, about 50 yards away, taking care of his horses when he noticed smoke coming from the house, he was the only person home at the time.

“I ran over to the kitchen door and saw smoke pouring our of the house,” he said. “I ran back towards the barn and called 911.” Mike said the house was fully engulfed in flames before firefighters arrived. He said of the family’s six pets, two dogs and a cat did not make it out of the house.

The house is owned by Mike’s mother, Darlene Douglas of Hart. He said he grew up in the house. “We have lived here since 1989,” he said. “But, this house was built in the 1880s.”

Mike said he was fairly certain the home was insured.

Scottville and Pere Marquette fire departments were the first called to the scene. Hamlin Township Fire Department was later called to assist. The American Red Cross was also called to assist the residents and also the firefighters.

Mike said that he, Ashley and Alexis each work for an area hotel, so he wasn’t too worried about lodging.

“I’m just thankful that nobody was hurt and that the barn didn’t catch on fire,” he said. “Thank God everyone was out of the house.”

Scottville Fire Chief Dale Larr said he was planning to call a Michigan State Police fire marshal to investigate.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,596 other subscribers