No fire found at U.S. 31 house.

May 19, 2015

us31 house fireBy Rob Alway. Editor-in-Chief. 

VICTORY TWP. — A homeowner leaned on the side of caution this afternoon when she saw what she thought was smoke coming from the eaves of her house. Yolanda Harrison said she had been in her bedroom about 12:45 p.m., looked out a window, and noticed what looked like smoke rolling off her roof. She told her husband, Darrell, and they decided to call 911.

Darrell then checked around the house, including the basement, but couldn’t find anything that appeared to be on fire.

Scottville, Custer and Fountain fire departments were called to 3187 N. U.S. 31 and immediately started checking over the house, including using thermal imaging cameras. They couldn’t find any smoke.

Firefighters said culprit may have been steam caused from her cooking something on her stove.

“I just wanted to be safe and call 911,” Yolanda said. The firefighters told her she did the right thing.

Firefighters cleared the scene about 1:30 p.m.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,304 other subscribers