Man injured during Custer barn fire

June 7, 2014

barn_fire_wilson_road_wood_custerBy Rob Alway. Editor-in-Chief. 

CUSTER TWP. — One person was injured this morning during a pole barn fire on East Wilson Road. Firefighters were called to the Maple Wood Farm, owned by Ron and Neva Wood, about 9 a.m. The barn was fully engulfed when the first unit from Custer Fire Dept. arrived on scene between Darr and Tuttle roads.

barn_fire_wilson_road_wood_custer_2Ron Wood said his adult son, Jamie, was welding in the barn and was burned, which is how he believed the fire started. Jamie was burned in the left arm and privately transported to Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital. Ron and Neva stood in the yard watching firefighters extinguish the fire. “Most importantly is that we hope that Jamie is OK,” Ron said. “Everything else can be replaced.”

The 40-plus-year-old barn was the primary storage facility for the farm. It housed tractors and implements along with various other pieces of equipment.

Scottville Fire Chief Dale Larr said firefighters were able to get the fire under control rather quickly, however the barn and its contents were a total loss. Larr said he was able to get into the barn and drive a truck out. “It was full of smoke when I got in it, I let it air out for a moment and then got in. As I drove it out the windshield started to crack.”

Custer, Scottville, Riverton and Branch fire departments responded to the scene along with Mason County Sheriff’s Office and the American Red Cross canteen services.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

WSCC: I am

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,430 other subscribers