Embers catch U.S. 10 house on fire

May 8, 2014

us10 house fireBy Rob Alway. Editor-in-Chief.

us10 house fireCUSTER TWP. — Monty Saunders and his employees were busy installing siding when they noticed the house they were working on was on fire around 11:40 a.m. They immediately jumped off the house and Saunders called 911.

The fire presumably started from an ember from a fire in the backyard. The house, located on U.S. 10 just east of Bean Road at the Scottville city limits, is owned by Corinne Johnson. Her daughter, Summer Johnson, said they rent the house out. Nobody was living in the house and they were in the process of doing some renovations.

A family friend was in the back yard and was burning down some scrap metal, Summer Johnson said. That fire is what most likely caused the fire, she said. Winds were coming from the south at 16 mph.

Scottville and Custer fire departments were the first called. Initial dispatch information said the house was located at U.S. 10 near Darr Road. The house was fully engulfed in flames when the first crews arrived on scene. Heavy smoke caused almost zero visibility across U.S. 10.

Aaron Alley of Walhalla said he was driving by when he saw light smoke coming out of the house. He also called 911 and then helped the construction crew move their equipment out of the way.

Pere Marquette Township Fire Department and Branch Township Fire Department were also called to assist. Also responding was Michigan State Police, Scottville Police Department, Mason County Sheriff’s Office and American Red Cross.

Crews were able to knock down most of the fire within 20 minutes of the initial fire attack.

 

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,652 other subscribers