Electrical likely cause of Scottville fire

February 27, 2014

scottville_fire_reinberg_aftermathBy Rob Alway. Editor-in-Chief.

SCOTTVILLE — The cause of the fire that destroyed a Scottville home Wednesday night was most likely electrical. Fire Chief Dale Larr said resident Kendra Smith said some of the lighting on the second floor was having issues when she went down to check the electrical panel in the basement. Upon returning, there was smoke upstairs.

Smith, along with her four sons, the family dog and Smith’s mother were able to escape. Her boyfriend, Michigan State Police Trooper John VanLopik was on duty when he found out about the fire.

See related story.

Larr said a Michigan State Police fire marshal will be inspecting the property at 303 N. Reinberg Ave. on Monday. Smith and VanLopik were renting the house.

The family is in need of the following items:

– John – shirt large, pants 32×34

– Kendra – shirt medium, pants 10

– Alex, 8-years-old, shirt 8/10, pants 8 slim, boy

– Bryce, 6-years-old, shirt 5/6,  pants 6 slim, boy

– Colby, 4-years-old, shirt 4t, pants 4t, boy

– Daryn, 18-months-old, shirt 18-24 months, pants 12-18 months, boy

Also, children’s toys.

Items may be dropped off at the lobby of the Mason County Sheriff’s Office on 302 N. Delia Street in Ludington.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,275 other subscribers