First hunting related death occurs in Meade

November 15, 2012

MEADE TWP. — A 54-year-old man was the first county hunting-related death. The Zeeland resident died Thursday morning from what appeared to be asphyxiation caused by a propane heater used to warm the van he was sleeping in, a sheriff’s office report stated.

The Free Soil Fire Dept. was first to respond to the man’s hunting camp around 8:30 a.m. Central Dispatch reported bystanders were doing CPR on the man. The fire dept. medical first responder on the scene reported the man was cold to the touch with obvious signs of being dead for some time.

Life EMS and the sheriff’s office also responded to the scene on North Tyndal Road north of Free Soil Road.

An exact cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner.

Today is the first day of Michigan firearm deer season. Rescuers have already been called to at least one other hunter related medical emergency in Grant Township this afternoon.

Tags:

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,323 other subscribers