Fire destroys Victory Twp. garage, vehicles; home damaged.

February 13, 2017



Fire destroys Victory Twp. garage, vehicles; home damaged.


By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

VICTORY TOWNSHIP — A Victory Township house was severely damaged, and its garage was destroyed, by fire Sunday night. The house at 2216 N. Stiles Road is owned by Jack Shoop. His son, Justin Shoop, was living in the house, along with a roommate, Gage Martinez. The two were home when it started. Jack said that they Justin and Gage heard an explosion coming from the garage and the house immediately filled up with smoke. They ran out of the house, without shoes or coats, and called 911.

The initial dispatch from Mason-Oceana 911 stated a car was on fire inside the garage. Within moments, dispatch information was updated that the attached garage was also on fire. Scottville Fire Chief Dale Larr said the occupants confirmed that a car started the fire.

victory_stiles_house_fire_scottville_hamlin_02-13-17_2Jack Shoop said the fire destroyed a car inside the garage along with a car that was parked alongside the exterior of the garage. A pickup truck parked outside the garage was also damaged. Tractors and garden tractors inside the garage were also destroyed, along with many tools, Jack said.

“I’m just thankful that nobody was hurt,” Jack said. “They didn’t have time to get their shoes and coats on but they are safe. That’s all that matters.” The house was insured, Jack said.

Responding to the scene were Scottville Fire Department, Hamlin Township Fire Department, Pere Marquette Fire Township Department, Custer Fire Department, Fountain Area Fire Department, and Mason County Sheriff’s Office. Stiles Road was closed between Fisher and Hansen roads. The departments used a fire hydrant on US 10 east of Stiles Road, which also caused a closure of a traffic lane there.

The American Red Cross was also called to assist the victims, who lost all their clothes in the fire.

Eats & Drinks

Eats & Drinks