Oil cooker blamed for lakeshore house fire.

December 2, 2015

lakeshore_drive_fire_12-02-15By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief. 

UPDATED at 6:47 p.m.: SUMMIT TOWNSHIP — A lakeshore home was destroyed by fire Wednesday around 3 p.m. Home owner Patrick Karp said he was heating up cooking oil in his garage at 4725 S. Lakeshore Drive when he left the cooker momentarily. A few minutes later his garage was on fire, which spread to the house that overlooks Lake Michigan. The house is located between Hawley and Olmstead roads.

Riverton, Pere Marquette, Pentwater and Ludington fire departments responded to the scene. Life EMS ambulance also responded. Firefighters cleared at 6:45 p.m.

Karp said the house is insured. Riverton Fire Chief Joe Cooper said the house was a total loss.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Area Churches

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,503 other subscribers