Couple escapes house fire.

January 18, 2018

Couple escapes house fire.

#MasonCountyNews.

By Rob Alway, Editor-in-Chief.

LUDINGTON — A husband and wife, along with their dogs, managed to safely leave their house after they discovered it on fire Wednesday night about 11:30 p.m. Fire appears to have severely damaged the Mark and Diana Johnson residence at 815 E. Foster St., at the Madison Street intersection.

Ludington Police Sgt. Dave Maltbie said the fire appears to have started from cigarettes, according to witness statements he obtained on scene. Ludington Fire Chief Jerry Funk said the origin seemed to be in the basement.

Mason-Oceana 911 dispatch information stated that a corner of the house was on fire. Upon arriving on scene Funk reported to dispatch that heavy smoke was coming from the building. Fire broke through the roof about 12:40 a.m. while firefighters attempted to extinguish flames on the second floor.

Also responding to the scene were Pere Marquette Twp. Fire Dept., Life EMS, and Mason County Sheriff’s Office deputies. American Red Cross was also called to assist the Johnsons.

Firefighters remained on scene until 4;10 a.m.

This story and photographs are copyrighted © 2017, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Consent to search

WSCC: I am

Subscribe to MCP via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this site and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,429 other subscribers