Washington Avenue bridge construction approved

April 8, 2013

20130408-223919.jpg

LUDINGTON — The Ludington City Council approved an agreement with the Michigan Department of Transportation during its regular meeting Monday night. Construction work on building a new bridge is scheduled to begin in late May or early June. City Manager John Shay construction is expected to be completed sometime before the end of the year.

MDOT’s Local Bridge Fund will pay for 95 percent of the estimated $2.2 million bridge re-build. The City of Ludington will cover the remaining 5 percent, or $111,000, from its Major Street Fund. The city will also cover all engineering costs, which include both design and construction engineering.

Bids will be let on May 3 with demolition of the current bridge to being later that month. In a memo to City Council, City Manager John Shay said the contractor will be required to maintain boating traffic at all times of the construction period.

Prior to demolition of the bridge, utility companies will begin to relocate overhead lines away from the bridge, beginning later this month.

The Scoop: MCC Steak Fry

Urka Auto Center

The Scoop: COVE 40th anniversary celebration

Legally Speaking: Consent to search